This video explains the configuration of the Material Master in SAP Materials Management. The key points discussed in the video are:
- Material Master in SAP: The Material Master is a repository of data used for materials. It serves as a single source of information for each material, where all information about a material is entered and accessed. The Material Master is used throughout the SAP system and by different business users.
- Configuration of Material Master: The configuration of the Material Master involves setting up basic configuration details like industry sector, material type, field selection, and material group.
- Industry Sector: The industry sector is a control function in SAP. When creating a Material Master record, the industry sector is mandatory. It defines which screens are displayed and in which order. It also determines which industry-specific fields are displayed on each screen.
- Material Type: A material type is a definition of a group of materials with similar attributes. A material type must be assigned to each Material Master record. Material types control many functions like number assignment, procurement type, screen setup, price control, account determination, quantity, and value update.
- Field Selection: Field selection in SAP determines the field status such as required, hidden, display, and optional. The field status of the Material Master is controlled by the material type and transaction type.
- Material Group: The material group is used to group materials with similar attributes. The benefits of using material groups are in reporting, distribution of roles and responsibilities in purchasing and inventory departments, and many others.
- Unit of Measurement: Assigning a unit of measurement is important when defining a Material Master. SAP provides a large number of standard units of measurement to meet almost all business needs.
- Number Range: Each material in SAP will have a unique number. There are two ways of defining a number range in SAP, one is internal assignment and the other is external assignment.