This tutorial introduces the ABAP RESTful Application Programming (RAP) model, highlighting its significance in modern SAP application development. The presenter delves into the evolution of ABAP, explaining the transition from traditional development methods to the more advanced RAP model.
Key topics covered in the session:
- Introduction to RAP: The video begins with an overview of the RESTful Application Programming model, emphasizing its importance in SAP development.
- Evolution of ABAP: The presenter traces the history of ABAP, from classical development methods to the introduction of UI5 and the challenges faced in integrating legacy code.
- Advantages of RAP: The RAP model integrates the ABAP language with CDS (Core Data Services), allowing developers to combine both concepts seamlessly. It focuses on business logic, reducing the need to concentrate on technical aspects.
- RAP in Modern SAP: The presenter highlights that RAP is the recommended programming model for SAP S/4HANA on-premise edition 2021 and onwards. It replaces older methods like BOPF and OData.
- Development Environment: For effective RAP development, the presenter suggests using Eclipse and emphasizes the importance of understanding CDS. The RAP model is powerful and allows developers to focus on business logic.
- RAP Architecture: A brief mention of the upcoming video topic, where the presenter will delve deeper into the architecture of RAP and the various objects associated with it.